Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Provence and Biot

I have to apologize because as I write this, I am sick. Which means my brain isn't working correctly, but what else do I have to do other than lie in bed (oh, and procrastinate on my homework), so I am going to catch you up on what I did the last two weekends.

The weekend of the 9 and 10th, we had a CEA excursion to the Provence region. The first town we visted was Arles. The two most important things there were the influences from Van Gogh (he lived here a while, including when he cut his ear), and the Roman Ampitheater.


The next place was Les Baux de Provence. It was a really cool medeival castle/fortress. It also had the most amazing views that I have seen so far in France. Which is sayin a lot, because I have seen some amazing ones. This place was probably the highlight of the weekend.

 
 
Our next stop was Avignon. It was where we stayed the night. We ate at an amazing, cute French restaurant. We had eggplant (I have never liked eggplant until I tasted it here), braised beef with a side of some kind of rice, and then a chocolate and caramel mousse for dinner. The next day, we toured the Pope's Palace. For the most part, it was really bland as there wasn't any of the furniture and most of the paint was long gone. But in the rooms with some of the original paint still remaining, it was really cool. 



Next we went to le Pont du Gard, which is the tallest Roman aqueduct. It was really cool and the water was an amazing, clear blue-green, which wasn't captured in my photos.

 
On the way back to Antibes, we stopped at Chateau Sainte Roseline, a vineyard/winery. We toured the wine cellar and where they make wine. Following that was a wine tasting. Between this and the wine tasting I had a few days prior to it, I think I have finally learned to like wine.
 
Last weekend, I wasn't able to go to Rome like I had been wanting due to a test, but I traveled the local area instead. I started by going to the Picasso Museum here in Antibes. After that, I went to a local town known for its glass blowing factories (Biot). When they say glass blowing, they really aren't kidding as they actually blow through a tube, which expands the glass. The finished product is really cool and is apparent that it is from Biot. They use something (baking soda?) during the making, which creates bubbles in the glass. After I was done at the glass blowing factory, I made the hike up to the town itself. It is a perched village with cute cobblestone streets.
 
Well that is all for now. Only three more days until Luke comes, and four more until the most epic spring break ever!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment